Frederik Ramm schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Hohmann wrote:
>> I kind of miss the choise of "No, but I consider all my data PD".
>> Because even though any PD data could be also made ODbL, there is no
>> sense in declaring it PD if it's not collected and published as PD.
>> Unless there is a mechanisim in OSM to e.g. "Download only PD data" or
>> a seperate project that collects PD data (which is also put into
>> ODbL-OSM), I don't really see a sense in saying "My data is PD", since
>> it will not make any difference to "My data is ODbL". Or am I wrong?
>
> The PD choice has little legal relevance.
>
> I campaigned for the inclusion of the PD choice because, as a basis for
> future licensing discussions and also questions of interpretation, I
> want to know where the community stands. SteveC & others tirelessly
> claim that there is a share-alike consensus in OSM and I don't believe
> that, and I want the issue put to rest one way or the other.
>
> If we find that 80% of OSMers actually are pro PD then this will not
> change the license one bit, but it might perhaps help reduce some
> share-alike zealotry and we might interpret some things in a more
> relaxed way (and ODbL leaves plenty of room for interpretation,
> concerning the big questions of what is substantial, what is a produced
> work, and what is a derived database).
>
> If, on the other hand, we find that 80% of OSMers would not release
> their data PD but prefer a share-alike license, then we would perhaps
> interpret the same questions with a more rigorous share-alike drift.

I like that it is included, but I still can't say e.g. "I like PD, but I
don't like ODbL in the current version". Since the vote is about whether
the ordinary mapper would accept ODbL, I think it's strange that you
can't vote against it if you like PD. I haven't read the latest version
of the ODbL, so I don't know what I would vote, but with the current
choices, people might either accept ODbL just because they like PD or
deny PD because they don't like ODbL. And since this is supposed to show
the current general opinion on the license change, I wouldn't like the
results to be unintentionally falsified.

Maybe it would be better to split the questions.

Would you accept ODbL: yes/no/if change/dont know
Would you accept PD: yes/no/dont know
What would you prefer: CC-BY-SA/ODbL/PD

I don't know if this is possible, but this way, even if someone would
accept ODbL if there is no other choice, he could still vote for PD or
CC-BY-SA. Someone might not prefer PD, but might still accept it if a
majority would prefer it. Or someone might not prefer PD, but would also
never accept it. There are a lot of other possible combinations. After
all, this is a complicated topic and there are many different opinions.

Greetings