On 05/13/2010 07:56 PM, John Smith wrote:
> On 14 May 2010 03:14, Robert Martinez<m...@mray.de>  wrote:
>
>> - scaling makes it impossible to retain the nice details you want to apply
>> to the logo
>>
> Only if the logo is in raster, or only if you are shrinking it to an
> extremely small size, this is where SVG comes in...

The issue is the small size as you say. :)

The concern is not of a technical nature. Even SVGs get rendered to
pixels or dots in the end - no matter what.
I'm just noting that the current logo really under-performs when it
comes to scaling, not only at extremely small sizes, but already at
reasonably small sizes: you start loosing all details on the map as well
as the 1s and 0s at about 64x64 pixels.

I would argue that this isn't an acceptable criteria for a proper logo.

(There may be exceptions but I see many reasons why OSM would benefit
from something that you can print on small devices, postcards, use as
favicon or along other logos face to face on webpages and so on.. )

Greetings,
Robert