Matt Amos wrote:
> as a preface, some thoughts i had a while ago on the OSM logo
> http://www.asklater.com/matt/wordpress/2006/05/infamy/
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Robert Martinez <m...@mray.de> wrote:
>
>> having a real map as part of the logo offers some nice opportunities indeed!
>> But there is a number of inherent problems with actual map data inside the
>> logo, which is why I discarded any of my designs containing it:
>>

> indeed, but i'm of the opinion that a logo should try to represent
> what the project is about. maps are surely the most commonly
> recognised output of geodata, although they do have problems.

I absolutely agree here.
I chose to avoid geodata as part of the logo for various reasons, but
not because I want to avoid representation. It just does not work inside
a logo - that's my conclusion.
In my opinion a logo has to reduce the amount of representation to the
absolute essence in order to work right.

If you are missing the geodata - what about the community aspect to the
project? is it less impoprtant?
There are tons of things that should be represented, too (maybe even
harder to integrate than geodata).
I chose to stick to the basic aspect of marking things on a map - in
order to find what you want, and don't expect from every designer to go
for the same approach.

>> - as Steve said already - there is too much going on inside there.
>>

> which (and i've pointed this out several times to steve, but he seems
> to have forgotten) can be elided at lower levels of detail.

You always want to avoid having different logos for different scales.
When necessary you sometimes have to do so - but it is a hard decision,
and if some meaningful content of your logo gets lost that way you
really have a problem:
If the details in question can dissapear there is no good reason to have
them in the first place.

>> - then there is the issue with recognition, almost nobody would recognize
>> certain elements clearly (as well as a certain outline)
>> - scaling makes it impossible to retain the nice details you want to apply
>> to the logo
>>

> this is a problem for any logo and, as above, it's easy to remove the
> fine details and enhance the large-scale details when down-scaling.
> it's also easy to reduce the colour depth and introduce colour themes
> while keeping the recognisable source elements intact. e.g:
> http://www.asklater.com/matt/mag_map_unbusy_reallylowcolour.png
>
> in my opinion OSM doesn't need a new logo, so much as it needs an
> improved logo! :-)
>
> cheers,
>
> matt

In my eyes improving means remaking. OSM needs a new logo! I guess we
just disagree here :P

cheers,

Robert