On 05/16/2010 06:35 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Robert Martinez wrote:
>> There has to be a design department for OSM with authority and
>> competence
>
> [...]
>
>> My conclusion is a plea to the project management: please try to find
>> a capable design team as soon as you can!
>
> Do you know *anything* about OSM at all? Do you have *any* knowledge
> of, or respect for, how the project works?

Did I really offend you by assuming that there are certain aspects of
the project that get decided not by pure democracy?
Aren't there any people good at special fields like handling tile
rendering, or traffic balancing or editor development etc.?
I must admit I'm not an active contributor in any of those kinds - but I
must say I'm a bit offended myself that you assume I know nothing about
the project and act "respectless", just because I think it is a good
Idea to have some people that are specialized in design.

I'm offering a contribution after all! Please respect that, too.

> There are no departments with authority and no desire to create them;
> there is no project management. How can you even think about designing
> a logo for a project of which you understand so little?

To be honest: my first impression of the current logo drove me to the
guess that there is no design team, so that's not big news for me.
(Btw: if you read my initial mail - why didn't you make that clear earlier?)

You seem to be involved enough to help me out here:

In case there really IS NO hierarchy whatsoever other than Steve Coast
and the rest - there is no problem!
If the community should decide: fine! I already agreed on using the
logo-rating-table (if there really is no better solution).
Or maybe I can even come to Girona, too, and share my thoughts there
(but that's not the complete community that decides and it is not sure I
can get there)

But If there IS actually a decision hierarchy - who is deciding:
when (or if) to announce a logo contest?
who decides on the guidelines?
who decides when there are enough submissions?
who is the jury (mailing list - wiki - a web-poll - voting in Girona - ...)?

Always glad to hear other voices on the issue, too.

Bye
Robert Martinez