On 31. mai 2010, at 21.13, Ian Dees wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Gustav Foseid <gust...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do, on the ground, you verify the name of a peak?
>
> You look at the sign. Talk to the hikers you passed on the way up with your
> GPS.
>
>> How do you, on the ground, verify a national park or nature reserve?
>
> It sounds like you're talking about the border of the park or reserve. As has
> been said before, borders probably don't belong in OSM. The name of a park is
> probably verifiable though.
>
>> All of these things might be properly marked with signs where you are, but
>> they certainly are not everywhere.
>
> If they are not marked, how do the locals know what and where they are?

Please, take a vacation outside densely populated areas. Northern Norway is
quite nice: http://osm.org/go/1KyNf--

Names are often passed by word of mouth, or learned from a map. You /might/
find some signposted peaks, but I doubt it.

If we are supposed to leave out every name that isn't signposted we might as
well just give up on creating anything like a nice hiking map for Norway right
away. And if we aren't doing anything but roads we might as well use Google
maps, they are quite good at that.

--
Knut Arne Bjørndal
aka Bob Kåre