In many cases I have seen empty (as in truely empty) nodes left around as a
result of failed imports, or failed uploads of changesets. Most of these
nodes should be removed, and the validator plugin in JOSM allows this in an
easy way.

On the other hands, nodes with only user information tags, such as note,
comment, and FIXME should be kept, or the information within the tags should
be dealt with. These nodes can work as reminders for people tagging in a
certain area, such as "need to complete this road", or "trace this lake",
etc.