>> I do this occasionally, and I'm sure I haven't made this up but got
>> the practice from someone/somewhere else - when a way is drawn and you
>> know it goes on but haven't mapped it, you put three "dots", just as
>> you do in written language:
>>
>> ---------------  . . .

> It's the first that I heard of this strategy and I'm not sure if I
> would recognize it. I certainly haven't in the past.
>
> It does raise a question: why not just map a way over it and tag it
> with some FIXME? If I map a new area and make photo's and see that there
> is a road somewhere that I didn't go, I map the road as far as I can see
> it and.

+1

>> I mean - an empty node somewhere in the middle of town which has sat
>> there for ages, ok, but if you saw something like the above, where the
>> three nodes clearly hint at a way continuation - would you really
>> remove them? I'd think that a bit careless.
>
> I would at least tag the nodes with a FIXME. Personally I do make a
> point of looking at the history of a stray node, but that is far from
> failsafe.

+1

its documented here and well-established.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fixme

Only if a node contains information it carries information.
An empty node is as usefull like 42.
OSM is a community-project, so it means no one should insert
information that can not be used by others.

If s.b. searches for missing streets in the region how should one
search for hints by other mappers? Search for all empty nodes?

May be others use 4 empty nodes for a building and 5 for an missing
area and then there are trillions of empty nodes from broken software.

Many applications make usefull things with fixme-nodes

* there are markers on gps-devices
* websites highlighting fixme
* josm is shipped with some extra support for fixme-nodes
* and lots of more

Another well-established way is to use openstreetbugs:
http://openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org/

Everyone can write here "street contiues 2km to west"

--
Jonas Stein <n...@jonasstein.de>