On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com>wrote:

> yes, but it get's even harder when the information is split over
> several layers and you do edits without even seeing the data, because
> it is on a different layer. How could you maintain integrity and
> topology?

I think it could be harder or it could be easier depending on how it's done.
 If you allowed ways on different layers to share nodes then it would be
quite possible to edit an object on one layer and modify an object on
another by accident.  Not good.  For this reason I would want layers to be
completely separate.  As long as they are separate and represent different
types of objects that don't need to be connected then I don't really see any
problems.  But if the community at large has decided against layers in the
past I'm interested to hear why.

Zeke