2010/9/28 Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com>:
>  On 28/09/2010 17:28, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> OK, lets not confuse issues here, one is to perform the import, the
>> other is maintenance and updates of the data.
>
> The import can be split in two sections:
>
> a) direct import of data (ie shapefiles etc)
> b) tracing background underlay images (ie OS Streetview)

b is IMHO not an import. You are deriving information from a foto,
i.e. you do the selection, you compare with your local knowledge and
reality, you do the generalization -> You create the data. In an
import you do none of this. You convert existing data and can at the
best retain the original quality.

> The latter is most definitely 'cared' for & 'maintained'. I certainly don't
> want to loose the ability to do b) nor loose existing data I've added that
> way.

neither do I

cheers,
Martin