I think imports are important.
- The 'dead data' point have been covered from TimSC, imho
- The 'it discourage new editors' point... I strongly disagree, in
fact more user OSM has, more potential editor it has. Who wants to use
a map that is way worst (because is lacking data) than GoogleMaps,
OVIMaps, Gamin's maps etc? I think no one, or a very little amount....

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Grant Slater
<openstreet...@firefishy.com> wrote:
> On 29 September 2010 11:26, Nic Roets <nro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Obviously there are many exceptions to your rule, like the TIGER import.
>>

> TIGER isn't a good example of a successful import.
>
> The TIGER import killed a fledgling community in the US, which is now
> only slowly recovering. TIGER has masses of data without anyone taking
> any ownership. Do we really need inaccurate, incorrectly tagged data
> for a dirt track crossing the Rockies?
>
> Nic, local example... Durban South Africa, we imported a dataset, the
> few new mappers who were starting up these stopped mapping and haven't
> returned post import. The import data is now stagnating. The imported
> data also has many errors.
>
> Yes, the ODbL + CT may raise the bar on imports by making sure the
> supplied data is on _OUR_ terms. I think this is a good thing.
>
> Regards
>  Grant

Fabio Alessandro Locati

Home: Segrate, Milan, Italy (GMT +1)
Phone: +39-328-3799681
MSN/Jabber/E-Mail: fabioloc...@gmail.com

PGP Fingerprint: 5525 8555 213C 19EB 25F2  A047 2AD2 BE67 0F01 CA61

Involved in: KDE, OpenStreetMap, Ubuntu, Wikimedia