SteveC <steve <at> asklater.com> writes:

>>For addressing, I guess it is usually sufficient to have a street name - the
>>exact addr:housenumber stuff is not needed I assume?
>
>Imagine a country where many streets are miles and miles long. Then yes, it
>matters as you could be 10 miles out

Ah, yes.  So if we wanted to aim for a geocoding accuracy of one kilometre as
a minimum, then any road longer than one kilometre needs house numbers.

>>Turn restrictions are also hard to survey manually.

>>They might possibly be suggested from analysis of GPS traces,
>>provided we have a large number of traces for an area and they are clearly
>>tagged to show which ones are for travelling by car.  This is one reason why a
>>standard tagging scheme for GPS traces is needed.
>
>You can expose it with things like routing.

I don't understand what you mean - do you mean that OSM-based routing apps could
submit a trace back to the server as you drive along?

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>