Yes Martijn there
are weak classifications, everything that is not mapped is not
represented in the database. For example the classification in five
groups of tags and in the subgroups in the map feature list is not
expressed in the database. OSM database is missing abstraction
levels.
Moreover all
tags are treated seamlessly, even when they are properties or
subclassifications.

Martin,
existing linguistic resources in the semantic web are able to
identify not only synonymy but almost all relation between concepts,
also some topological relation like partonomy (a thing is a part of
another).

Gianfra