On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/12 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:
>> As I said, highway=road is not defined as "unknown classification", it
>> is defined as "a road of unknown classification".
>

> IMHO that's just a bad definition, because if you don't know the way,
> how could you know that it is a road (see also the aussie example of
> cycleway vs. unpaved road)?

I agree it's a bad definition (I think my last post explained that in
detail), but you certainly could see a road, but not know what class
of road it is.

> And which should be the classification of an unknown path?

highway=path

> What exactly does
> "highway" mean in spoken language? Does "highway=path" make any sense?
> Tags are not the same as their verbal meaning.

No, not necessarily, which is why I asked what the OSM definition of
"highway=road" is.  And I'm not quite sure what your answer is.  Are
you saying it's a generic path where people travel, such that all
highway=* ways (except for the dumb ones like highway=proposed) are
"roads"?  If so, I think that's fine, but the wiki fairly clearly
contradicts that, referring to a subdivision between "roads" and
"paths".  And highway=unknown or even highway=highway would be less
confusing.  (And yes, "highway" itself is a dumb choice of mnemonic,
but that one is far too ingrained to be fixed.)

>> The wiki is confusing, though.  It puts highway=residential,
>> highway=track, highway=service, and highway=pedestrian under the
>> subcategory of "roads", but it puts highway=cycleway, highway=footway,
>> and highway=bridleway under the subcategory of "paths".  Which I
>> thought was distinguishing between motor vehicle traffic allowed and
>> motor vehicle traffic not allowed.
>
> IMHO that's perfectly OK, (note that I don't confirm road= "highway=road")

The wiki clearly says that highway=road is a tag for a road, though.

And even besides that, it's not perfectly okay, because it's confusing
as hell.  The wiki presents highway=* broken down into two categories,
roads and paths.  It presents highway=road as a generic road, and
highway=path as a generic path, and then other various highway=*
values as being more specific roads or paths.  Which would make
perfect sense, except for the fact that a bunch of people are now
saying that this isn't actually how we're supposed to be tagging
things.

>> But then highway=pedestrian would
>> be an exception.
>
> It is a "pedestrianized road" = a road

And a cycleway can be a road where bicycles are allowed but motor
vehicles aren't.  So why isn't cycleway under "roads" as well?  I've
asked this before, and I don't think you've answered it (though others
have).  What is a "road"?  If it's just a paved path where people
travel, then a cycleway is a road.  If it is an "official" (i.e.
marked as a separate parcel, or given a name for addressing purposes)
path where people travel, then a track isn't a road.  If you want to
separate highway=* into "roads" and "paths", then what is the
distinction?  If not, then the subcategories shouldn't be in the wiki.

>> Well, according to my understanding of the wiki, a cycleway (like a
>> bridleway and a footway) is a "path" and not a "road".  If we want to
>> keep that distinction, maybe there should be a highway=unknown tag,
>> for cases where we don't know if it's a "path" or a "road".
>
> I think that is not necessary. I am in favor of changing what the wiki
> states about "highway=road"

Me too, although I can't really figure out what it is supposed to say.
 I suspect "a path where motor vehicles travel" is the about closest
to the de facto definition, as I suspect that most roads where motor
vehicles are allowed to travel are not tagged with
motor_vehicle=yes/permissive (and, in fact, I have in the past tagged
roads with highway=road and thought that motor_vehicle=yes/permissive
was implied).