Ah, I think I see what you're saying. What zoom level do you expect it to
render at? The current stylesheet doesn't render county boundaries until z11,
period.

My reading of the stylesheet [1] is that by not specifying an admin level
you're abusing the "admin-other" category and making it render at lower zoom.
If you want counties to intentionally render at z9 good luck getting someone to
change the style :P. I do agree that it would look nicer if it rendered them at
lower zoom.

- Daniel

[1]
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/inc/layer-admin.xml.inc