Apparently I failed to communicate clearly in my first email. Let's
try this again.

Boundary relations tagged with admin_level=6 and member ways WITHOUT
admin_level tags are rendered starting at z9

Boundary relations tagged with admin_level=6 *and* member ways WITH
admin_level=6 aren't rendered until z11

This seems like a discrepancy.

You can see county borders being rendered at z9 in the link from my first email:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.326&lon=-107.747&zoom=9&layers=M

Toby

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Daniel Sabo <daniels...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, I think I see what you're saying. What zoom level do you expect it to
> render at? The current stylesheet doesn't render county boundaries until z11,
> period.
>
> My reading of the stylesheet [1] is that by not specifying an admin level
> you're abusing the "admin-other" category and making it render at lower zoom.
> If you want counties to intentionally render at z9 good luck getting someone
> to change the style :P. I do agree that it would look nicer if it rendered
> them at lower zoom.
>
> - Daniel
>
> [1]
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/inc/layer-admin.xml.inc
>
> On Feb 9, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
>
>> What you say makes perfect sense. But you got my situation wrong. When
>> admin_level=6 *IS* specified on the way it doesn't render until z11.
>> When it is only on the relation but NOT on the way then it renders at
>> z9.
>>
>> Toby
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Daniel Sabo <daniels...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It's not really a bug, if you have the following setup:
>>>
>>> Member way:
>>> boundary = administrative
>>>
>>> Relation:
>>> boundary = administrative
>>> admin_level = 6
>>>
>>> What you're telling mapnik is that there are two boundaries, one is
>>> admin_level 6, the other is admin_level undefined. The admin 6 one will
>>> render at z11 or closer, the undefined one renders at z9 to z11.
>>>
>>> To map the boundary as a relation you should have:
>>>
>>> Member way:
>>> no boundary tags (that includes the boundary name)
>>>
>>> Relation:
>>> boundary = administrative
>>> admin_level = 6