Frederik Ramm wrote:

> It would be very hard to construct something of that kind. The most
> common thing is certainly going to be the above "third" case, where you
> have the right to distribute data under CC-BY-SA or maybe even ODbL or
> maybe you even have the right to distribute it under any license with a
> BY component, but you do not have the right to authorize a third party
> (OSMF) to perform such distribution.
>
> For data of your "fourth" kind you would have to have a data provider
> who says "you can use my data under CC-BY-SA or ODbL, and you have the
> right to sublicense not only under these licenses, but you also under
> these licenses plus the additional privilege of further sublicensing".
> I'm not aware of such a situation even existing.

Looking at the imports catalogue (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue ), there seem to be a
number of imports that have an explicit licensing of "CC-BY-SA or ODbL" and
thus sound like they fall into that category (e.g. plan.at or "Afghanistan
Roads"). So they would be compatible with the OSM license, but not the CT.

In addition, it is imho not clear that not some of the many imports listed
as "Attribution" licensed wouldn't fall into this category, too (rather than
in category 3 as CC-BY).

I thought that the new CTs were supposed to "fix" this issue by only
requiring people to give the "full" rights they them selves own and then
vouch for that the data is also compatible with the current licensing. But
it sounds like that clause was dropped again in CTs 1.2.4? (At least that is
how I understood the recent discussion on legal-talk). So we are back to
nothing is compatible with the CTs other than a PD (like) license?