I think Frederick gave you the best answer possible. It's not that the
community was *asked* by some overarching committee, but instead that
it just floated up. Like a turd in the toilet. Frankly, I never
thought it would come to actually deleting data. I always thought that
that was OBVIOUSLY so insane that *somebody* would have killed the
idea of relicensing.

The trouble is, is that, just as no one person is responsible for
creating the idea, no one person has the ability to kill it. Maybe
SteveC, but he's convinced that Google is going to steal our data. As
if our data had any value once separated from the community that keeps
it alive.
-russ