On 16 April 2011 17:00, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Isn't it funny how, just over a year ago, we couldn't care less about
> anything the Ordnace Survey did, and suddenly we are a project that must
> choose their license according to what is compatible with OS?

I say to you the same I said to Ian - even if OSMF would publish what
> mechanism they plan to use (and I'm pretty sure they don't have one yet),
> then that mechanism would not become part of the contract and it could be
> changed at any later time, say, after majorities in the OSMF board have
> changed after the next election or something.

No-one expects the OSMF/LWG to have all the answers worked out in advance
but surely someone can answer questions about what their intentions are.
Such as is it the LWG's intention to make the license/ct's compatible with
OS Opendata? If it isn't then all those people currently tracing thousands
of roads a week in the UK might as well take a break and get some fresh air.

After so many years, someone must surely have given at least a bit of
thought to how removing incompatible/un-relicensed contributions might be
handled? What's wrong with starting a thread with those ideas and letting
other people give their input?

I am quite prepared to trust people who I feel are being honest about their
intentions but the lack of information just gives the impression that
something underhand is in the works. I can imagine it would be easy for
those people who believe cc-by-sa doesn't apply to map data to justify
re-adding any deleted contributions on the basis that most of it is
effectively pd. I just think that would be a really bad idea as far as
maintaining any kind of community trust goes.

Kevin