Matthias,

Matthias Julius wrote:
But, I need to point out again that theese extracts are not quite as
useful as they could be, IMHO. Unless something has been changed,
ways that cross the bounding polygon are trunkated at the last node
inside the polygon.

I have started to slowly introduce extracts built with the --complete-ways option, but not all extracts have that yet. In Europe, all sub-country extracts have it but countries don't, so you should be able to join two German Laender or two French regions, but you will encounter problems when joining a part of Germany with a part of France. I'm working on that but even a box with 90 GB of RAM disk has a hard time splitting Europe into countries with --complete-ways.

Note that two other preconditions exist for a successful join of neighbouring regions. First, the polygons I use for cutting must actually overlap. They usually do but every now and then I encounter a little bit of no man's land due to polygon simplification. Second, you have to use software that properly eliminates the double elements; I'm not sure if Osmosis does that.

Bye
Frederik