On 19/05/2011 08:10, Frederik Ramm wrote:

No, they aren't publicly available but I send them to people on request.
There's really no reason to keep them secret, I just haven't set up a
mechanism to automatically put them on the server because I didn't think
people were all that interested.

I am about to make some (rough) overview statistics for European countries, about the length of OSM ways (with tagfilters highway=motorway, railway=rail, etc.). Your country files at http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/ are very convenient in this context. Thanks for this great service!

However, I wanted to see how much double-counting there might be, due to the simplified country borders and overlaps between neighbouring countries. I also wanted to know what your difference is between 'british_isles' and 'great_britain', etc.

Other users of your files might have a similar interest.

Hermann