2011/5/5 Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com>:
> Dermot McNally writes:
>  > The change in licence and CTs has been endorsed massively by The
>  > Community.
>
> I'm wondering on what data you come to that conclusion? Because people
> have clicked "ok" on the license change and CTs? And yet there is no
> agreement and no contract. The OSMF has made it clear: you agree, or
> we delete your data and throw it into the dustbin of history. An
> agreement made under duress is no agreement at all.

If I'not mistaken, license change was endorsed by:
1) OSMF voting, in which lot of people didn't care to turn in their
votes. Rest of us voted for license change;
2) Low level of actual arguing against license outside this list.
There is no fork, no serious campaign to turn vote result around;
3) People still can read and as far as I know most of mappers are
quite informed about license change so "dumb clickers" charge won't
work here. They still don't complain because they trust OSMF/don't
care/don't have problems with changing license for their data;

At first I was seriously against license change not because of license
(I had hard time to argue against that their authors don't know what
they're doing), but because of way it was done. However, in recent
year, I have seen some serious effort from OSMF towards community
minor complains (major ones are just fundamental differences) mostly
about CT. In current form is is near possible compromise.

I know that lot of complains are coming about "huge elephant in the
room about which no one wants to talk about" or "massive imports with
CC-BY-SA".  Problem is also with thirty party data in general
(infamous CT). But CT has changed a quite since my last complains and
lot of questions are answered. About massive imports - well, ODbL
isn't that different, one must try to work with vendor to have data
relicensed.

In nutshell, if you are still unhappy about that, then it is time to
fork because what's done done. And in my opinion no, splitting OSMF or
OSM in "country organizations" isn't that fork.

Cheers,
Peter.