RichardB: I'm aware it's appeared before, that means nothing if theres still an
issue.
To class the tagging system as 'the wheel' is giving it far to much praise, the
wheel is what would be great to have.

are the following tags rendering on the main openstreetmap renderers?  If so,
can designation=public_footpath appear without highway=footway.  If so, that
does then bring up the issue of good rendering, and correlation between style
and meaning, and also asks why it was necessary to have yet another key to
patch up an issue.
designation=public_footpath
designation=public_bridleway
designation=restricted_byway
designation=public_byway or designation=byway_open_to_all_trafficDesignation
does seem like an incredably hacky way of solving this issue.  It's an
attachment tag to correct a bug, where a new key is invented where not
necessary.  Guess that's standard OSM practice!  At least there has been some
progress.

Simon: Access means the rules/rights you have to access something. I.e there is
no public access to my house. or, there is public access on foot to a footway.
Physical means what is physically there.  I.e. there is physically a path in my
back garden.  There is also physically a path where there is a public access
footway.

So, a good example is the M69 in the UK, and I'm sure there are other versions
in most countries.  It is a fake section of motorway used for training.
Therefore it isn't actually a 'motorway' it's just a piece of tarmac.
Physically it has all the properties of a motorway.  It doesn't however have
public access, you can't go on it, and if you did, i assume becuase it's not on
the highway, it doesn't have the same standard highway laws.  Therefore it is
physically a motorway, access is private.  It is not a highway.

In many countries the 2 can happily be merged together.  However in the UK,
there are footways(access) which are on private roads, tracks, paths, or not
visible at all.  The phisical properties are highly varied, the access is the
same.  Likewise all the aforementioned physical routes can exist with no foot
way on.

Renderers and OSM's tagging scheme being set out to make this easy really
doesn't involve much, and it would have no effect on people in other countries
where it's not an issue.

Ben