Very basically this is all a problem becuase highway=track and highway=bridleway/byway/footway cannot both be tagged >together. They need to be understood and moved, or duplicated into 'routes' or another key to state access. Having >them together any longer will knock 10 years off my life, I'm sure of it! We need to either move bridleways/byways and >footways to routes or somewhere/anywhere else!, and just leave highway=track and highway=path. Or we need to move >physical things (like tracks) out of the highway key, even though highway is apparently 'Physical', realistically it primarily >states access rights.

This has been done to death before. The wheel does not need to be reinvented.

In the UK, most people mapping countryside areas use what is described in the wiki under the "Classic UK Tagging style"

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Tagging_Guidelines#Rights_of_ways_in_England_and_Wales

Note, in particular, that the access-type keys are

designation=public_footpath
designation=public_bridleway
designation=restricted_byway
designation=public_byway or designation=byway_open_to_all_traffic

You can see a real rendering of these rules here;
http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/index.php

RichardB