Hi,

On 07/11/11 14:46, Brendan Morley wrote:
* If ABS2006 is a mistake licensing-wise, then it would be a mistake to
import any Australian Government geodata into OSM these days.

I belive importing *any* data into OSM is a mistake most of the time. It doesn't help you at all in building a community. If the foundation of your project are imports then you'll utimately have a few bigwigs writing the scripts and deciding how things are done. That's a different kind of project - a "collection of open government data" maybe. I believe ESRI are doing something like that. But you'll not find a community caring for your imported gov't data.

There's really no reason for official land parcel data in OSM. Importing official land parcel data will certainly deteriorate, and not improve, the quality of OSM. If someone in Australia was really planning to import that, and is now hindered by the license change, then I must say the license change came just at the right time.

(Mind you, the new license doesn't seem to keep the Brits from drawing on attribution-only sources released by *their* government but maybe the law is stricter down under?)

Bye
Frederik