Hi Frederik, thanks for discussing.

On 11/07/2011 10:58 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Hi,

On 07/11/11 14:46, Brendan Morley wrote:
* If ABS2006 is a mistake licensing-wise, then it would be a mistake to
import any Australian Government geodata into OSM these days.

I belive importing *any* data into OSM is a mistake most of the time. It doesn't help you at all in building a community. If the foundation of your project are imports then you'll utimately have a few bigwigs writing the scripts and deciding how things are done. That's a different kind of project - a "collection of open government data" maybe. I believe ESRI are doing something like that. But you'll not find a community caring for your imported gov't data.
Well as you may know I'm taking a different tack again to either of the above - essentially I want the highest quality open map. We have an opportunity (in Australia at least) to let the government inside the tent, and allow government and the community as equals in information sharing.

If OSM is about building a community, over building the highest quality open map, then yes I agree we have very different visions.

By the way, ESRI has its own peculiarities: refer http://commonmap.org/faq#10n127 and http://commonmap.org/faq#188n194

There's really no reason for official land parcel data in OSM. Importing official land parcel data will certainly deteriorate, and not improve, the quality of OSM.
With respect I'm completely gobsmacked by this attitude. Accurate boundaries are a WIN, surely? The only trick is to preserve the foreign key, so that one can detect changes in the source dataset and synchronise changes over time.

I take it personally to be honest. Often we get Public Notices in our local newspapers that refer only to Lot on Plan information. Up until now it's been very difficult to track down where in space those L/P's refer to. The whole, "are they going to build a freeway next to by house" kind of question.

(Mind you, the new license doesn't seem to keep the Brits from drawing on attribution-only sources released by *their* government but maybe the law is stricter down under?)
Indeed, I don't know why the ABS2006 data is an issue. However, I would guesstimate the Australian Government would be highly unlikely to take action, after all, AusGov wants to use the most permissive attribution licence available. However, if an OSM editor started shifting the boundaries around and still claimed it to be straight ABS data - that would be a moral rights issue.

Thanks,
Brendan