On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 12:47:52 +0200
Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Lambert Carsten <lhc....@solcon.nl>
> wrote:
> > As an outsider I really don't understand this. Is there a dispute on
> > what can be considered the local language in Jerusalem?
>
> Yes, it is. And this happens on some other areas in the world. The
> answer just saying "set up your own tile server" is not working
> because the main Mapnik rendering is used as am international
> reference, whatever we like it or not.
Understood, but the route taken now by the DWG is to convert a rendering
dispute to a tagging dispute effectively changing the parties to the
dispute from a local community to a dispute between the DWG and one
local community.
Obviously in the main Mapnik rendering we need to be able to switch
languages. I wish it were so but I can't do it so I will just have to
wait until someone who can gets around to implementing that option.
We are all volunteers after all.

> The other answer saying "please
> find an agreement locally or keep the name empty" is also not
> acceptable impov. This type of answer will not satisfy the two local
> communities, neither the rest of the world.
> Perhaps the solution adopted by the belgians for their disputed areas
> could be used as a model: put both versions in the tag 'name' (as
> Frederik already suggested). Another way would be to check how the UN
> is handling this on their own maps...
To my knowledge both Dutch and French are official languages in
Brussels. So if the local community there cannot agree on one or the
other OSM needs to accept both versions in one name tag.
As I understand it Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is not accepted by
everybody in the international community. However Israel has effective
control over the city in the sense that there is no other authority
that can claim international acceptance for that position. And I am
trying to stick to facts here, which is what OSM is all about. So
please point out any mistaken facts on my part.

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:27:32 +0100
"Ed Loach" <e...@loach.me.uk> wrote:

> > Personally I would say:  '.. OFFICIALLY used locally.'
>
> Which is where it becomes political... Do you mean officially
> according to Israel? Or official according to international
> resolutions such as
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_General_Assembly_Resolution_194>
> (see also <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem#Political_status> )
>
> (Note: I'm not taking sides in all this, but didn't realise there
> was such a political aspect to Jerusalem until doing a bit of
> research and thought the above made interesting reading for those
> not aware of the history involved. Disclaimer: I'm not saying
> Wikipedia is a reliable source).
Agreed, that's political and therefore would need to be resolved
outside OSM. In this case that would mean a dispute about the
capital=yes tag though.

However the dispute Dmitry brought to our attention is about a decision
made by the DWG. Their position seems to be to agree with anything the
local mappers agree to. Few seem to regard that as viable but more
importantly it is not the whole story. The rest of the community has a
say too! In my opinion we have at least two relevant osm rules here:
-we don't tag for the renderer;
-the name tag holds the (IMHO: 'official') local name.
The statement by Frederik seems to contradict both these 'rules'.
I think we could help resolve this issue if we can determine
if these rules hold true or not.

Lambert Carsten