On 05/10/2011 16:36, Serge Wroclawski wrote:

The status of Jerusalem as part of Israel is not disputed. Its status as a Palestinian city is

I'm not sure that's true. Israel was effectively created as a result of a UN partition plan that would have created a Jewish state and an Arab state, but would have left Jerusalem administered by the UN itself. Even now, I believe most countries do not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel: most treat Tel Aviv as the capital, presumably to emphasize that they don't accept that Jerusalem unambiguously belongs to Israel.

FWIW, the DWG's stance seems reasonable to me, although the obvious solution would be to have the two names separated by 'space hyphen space' as seems to be the case with Brussels. It would seem reasonable to give Hebrew precedence - which ironically would mean the Arabic name would be on the left!

--
Steve