Just a comment, "local mappers" is difficult to define.  Call a meeting six
people turn up and make a decision?

I don't have any answers on this one but inconsistent local decisions makes
life more difficult for people trying to use data from different places.
Routing renders / maps spring to mind.

Cheerio John