> Are there any technical reasons for having a local upload server in
> Indonesia, or is it "only" a social one?

yup, we have Indonesia Internet Exchange and this server in the heart
of the IIX..

i believe 15 years ago, hongkong, singapore try to make bad thing to
this country, they sell 2-4x more expensive

so one of local ISP (indo.net) linking the ISP and create a local
Internet, and called IIX now.

and now.. all game server, local dotcom, implement on this IIX

and the ISP give it free to anyone here, so we have dedicated free, no
loop to global..

i believe got award, as the best backbone implementation in Asia
Pasific (several years ago).

last month, all our server move to the heart of the IIX, so all people
will access faster because only 1 hop from ISPs .