Martijn van Exel wrote:
> We're definitely losing (potential) mappers to GMM. I don't have to
> tell you that's a shame -- all that effort going into creating
> non-free data. But how do we divert some of that energy to OSM?

Well, let's ask a Map Maker user:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=14666

I'm under the impression that a large part of Google's attractiveness is
due to their *really* high-quality applications and services. We have
nice maps, but they have a search function that works, routing, aerial
imagery, the ability to make your own map overlays, official smartphone
apps with vector rendering, and so on.

For people who are primarily motivated by applications they can use
today, rather than the potential for future applications, we're just not
that attractive - at least as far as "mainstream" applications are
concerned.

Tobias