On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:

> Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> We're definitely losing (potential) mappers to GMM. I don't have to
>> tell you that's a shame -- all that effort going into creating
>> non-free data. But how do we divert some of that energy to OSM?
>
> Well, let's ask a Map Maker user:
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=14666
>
> I'm under the impression that a large part of Google's attractiveness is
> due to their *really* high-quality applications and services. We have
> nice maps, but they have a search function that works, routing, aerial
> imagery, the ability to make your own map overlays, official smartphone
> apps with vector rendering, and so on.
>
> For people who are primarily motivated by applications they can use
> today, rather than the potential for future applications, we're just not
> that attractive - at least as far as "mainstream" applications are
> concerned.

I think we'll see this start to change, and soon.

All I can provide is anecdata, but I have been seeing a slow but consistent
upward trend in new map clients asking specifically for OpenStreetMap
cartography and mapping projects even if they don't know what that actually
*means*, because they believe that they're about to be taken to the cleaners
for their GMaps API usage.

GMM is improving its story but they're also 100% on the hook for providing
those high-quality applications and services. They can accept no help in this
regard, except by appropriating the terminology of free and open data.

-mike.