On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM, pec...@gmail.com <pec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011. gada 14. decembris 21:57 Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> rakstīja:
>> I didn't even know that GMM had introduced peer reviewed edits,
>> apparently they did so a while ago. 'Review some contributions and get
>> yours reviewed faster' is what it told me when I logged in.
>> And now they overhauled the UI to make it that much easier to contribute.
>>
>> We're definitely losing (potential) mappers to GMM. I don't have to
>> tell you that's a shame -- all that effort going into creating
>> non-free data. But how do we divert some of that energy to OSM?
>
> You have numbers to confirm these fears? I don't know a single living
> being who would map for Google.

I don't, and I am not trying to approach this with scientific
scrutiny. GMM is here, it's innovating, it's super user friendly, and
it allows people to do pretty much the same things that we do here at
OSM -- to a certain and in many ways very limited extent, that is. I'm
willing to bet an OSM cheat mug on it - there's bound to be people
slave-mapping for GMM that would contribute to OSM instead if 1) they
knew about it or 2) it were easier to get started.

> We can improve things, for sure, but that's already happening. Peer
> review comes naturally, but if you wish you can create at least some
> mockups for similar service for OSM.

Peer review is at the core of what OSM is, and yet its power can be
leveraged in many more ways than we currently do. I know there's a lot
of resistance to gamification (GMM has 'superstar mappers' I believe)
but there I think we can learn a thing or two from online knowledge
communities that leverage the undeniable fact that there's (local)
experts who can 1) guide newcomers and 2) oversee the quality of the
(local) data and contributions. It's just not trivial to implement.
--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore