Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

>I've read through many discussions, and the only reasons I've seen for
>changing the license ASAP are based on the fear of someone "ripping off"
>our work and our being powerless to do anything.

You might be interested in the analysis published on legal-talk[1] which
shows that this fear is not well-founded, because the OSM map data
falls within the scope of copyright in the USA, Europe and many other
countries worldwide, so the terms of the CC-BY-SA licence can be
enforced.

However, there are other reasons for changing the licence, because the
ODbL has 'produced work' provisions that mean people can produce
printed maps, for example, without having to distribute them under the
same share-alike terms.  (Note that while this is a reason to add ODbL
as an allowed licence, it is not a reason to stop offering CC-BY-SA as
an option as well.)

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.legal/6724

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>