Am 19.12.2011 13:21, schrieb Ed Avis:.
Are there any problems with CC-BY-SA 2.0 relating specifically to the
contribution of content by individual mappers to the OSMF servers?
Are you worried that individual mappers have not transferred their sui
generis database rights, or something else?

Well we could discuss if in general CC-by-SA 2.0 is at all suitable as a replacement for contributor terms, but naturally for example the "sui generis" database rights are one of the problematic issues (being the most likely IPR that large contributors could own).

Other collaborative projects such as Wikipedia must face the same issues.
It's hard to believe they need to get every contributor's permission in order
to do a licence upgrade.  (Indeed the Wikipedia transition from GFDL to
GFDL-or-CC was done using an upgrade clause in the former licence.)

And we know that they "cheated" .... that particular horse has really been flogged to death (and I believe that they did simply change the text you had to agree to on saving an article to include CC-by-SA for the unwashed masses). OSM is very different than Wikipedia in many areas, for example Wikipedia doesn't really distribute its data for use in other projects (commercial or other) and in so far doesn't have as large responsibility towards downstream data users as OSM has.

Simon