Sorry, didn't reply to list...

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:
> On 12/09/12 10:25, Miloš Komarčević wrote:
>
>> For example, writing system for a language can also include specifics
>> of the script as one language can be written down in multiple scripts.
>>
>> As I've been arguing before, I think OSM should start following BCP 47
>> [1].
>

> I thought we mostly did, except perhaps for a tendency to use underscore
> instead of dash as the separator.

Mostly, because most of the tags just use ISO 639 _only_.

But then there are:

"ja_rm" and "ko_rm"  - "Japanese and Korean as written when in some
road vehicles from 1949 on Madagascar" ;)

"zh_tw" and "zh_cn" instead of "zh-Hant" and "zh-Hans" to distinguish
traditional vs simplified Chinese (as if you can never write
traditional on the mainland?)

...and probably some other examples.

Re, separator and lowercase, it is not canonical according to BCP 47,
but the spec says systems should be tolerant to this other format as
well, so that's less of an issue.