Jais Pedersen wrote:
@Lester: Did you try the merge layer feature in JOSM or did I misunderstand your
problem?

There may well be a a tool that does what I'm looking at ;)

I have several 'layers' of boundary data, and SOME of the lower level 'ways' are used to define the same boundaries above, so in order to make a single layer, each shape needs to be broken down into a set of ways so we have a unique set of ways and a set of relations that select a 'closed loop' from the available set of ways for each of the original shapes. Building a database of the nine layers of shapes is the easy bit, as I already have that in another application anyway. It IS merging the ways from each layer and working out where to break the original shapes from each layer so they can be recreated simply be selecting the correct combination of way segments. Some segments are used on all 'boundary layers' while others only fill the gaps on perhaps on or two. In my naive way of working, it's looks like just identifying every node that matches from layer to layer and ending up with the biggest set of nodes that match. Merging onto the base OSM map should just be a version of the same process since a small subset of the ways have already been merged, or features already on the map may be usable in the matching process. Where it falls over is where in my case the OS borderline data has a large number of nodes which have been 'stylised' on the map already so do we throw away the more complex import data or keep the simplified view? Manual intervention on the merge process.

BUT it does make more sense to me to keep the bulk of this imagery ON a separate database since displaying it or not should be optional at the viewer?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL