I'm worried about the ongoing push to extend the reach of rules
originally designed (and supported by the community) for imports and
scripts to actions initiated by human mappers using editor software.

Even though your mail's subject mentions "import guidelines", your
proposed text switches to the much wider term "automated edit" and
includes such things as ...

On 25.09.2012 19:11, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> - search-and-replace tag changes
> - automated geometry fixup
> - reverting edits

In my opinion, none of that (if performed though editing software on a
moderate amount of data) is something that should require the same
amount of discussion and bureaucracy as a country-wide import.

These are simply different things than imports and scripts, should be
considered separately, and there should be much lower barriers for
performing these actions.

Tobias