Am 21.01.2013 14:49, schrieb Roland Olbricht:
Hello Peter,

thank you for the feedback. I've moved all but 4) to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/POI_display
to not loose the suggestions.

4) especially for POIs not displayed on the map it might be useful to
show an additional icon, as there's a "missing link" between "poi
nearby" and the map.
What exactly do you mean here? Having the icons in the bubble? This is indeed a
good idea, although not all feature classes have already icons.

Having the icons on the map is unlikely possible, because there might be simply
not enough space on the Mapnik map.
Well, that's the problem I refer to.
Mapnik tries to show as much icons as possible while keeping a certain distance in between and so on. Your POI display queries the whole database independent of the POIs in fact displayed on the map itself. If I get a popup saying something about 3 restaurants, but I only see one or two, that looks strange and I have no idea, where the third one might be on the map. With the comparable low distance threshold you implemented, that's not that big thing (as long as the user has an idea which area has been queried; a corresponding highlighting circle has been suggested already), but guessing where on the whole screen an additional restaurant might be, while that is not displayed, is a bad issue.

A perfect solution here might be to extend Mapnik to report as additional meta data to a tile the objects rendered (and/or skipped), but that's out of scope of your demo of course.

A perhaps easier to implement solution would be to show icons for every POI in the bubble, using icons as close as possible to the icons of the map stylesheet. Ideally the result would be that whenever a POI is shown in the message bubble, this POI is shown on the map (as an overlay icon/temporarily and probably due to the original tiles.

regards
Peter