Am 21.02.2013 17:47, schrieb moltonel 3x Combo:
[...]
Besides, I actually think that adding the "redundant" name:XX tag is actually simpler than modifying the code of many renderers to take something completely new into account. On the other hand, it should be very easy to check that "if a place has at least one name:xx tag, it should also have one that matches the name tag" either inside the editor or via a bot.
Not sure about that.
Up to know (as far as I know) some areas of the world decided to use a combination of two languages or name transcriptions in the name tag, like Japan [1] or Brussels [2]. A bot would contradict a working local community decision here, why I would oppose to automatically enforce that by a bot or to show that as en error by default. This might change as soon as the most prominent/important osm maps like our mapnik rendering support setting the language like in Jochens Multilingual Map project, but up to then it's IMHO a bad idea to enforce tag wars in multilanguage areas due to "bugs" raised by some bot that tries to enforce a name:xx being equal to name.

regards
Peter

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.009&lon=139.057&zoom=10&layers=M
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.84654&lon=4.351686&zoom=18&layers=M