Am 22.02.2013 14:22, schrieb moltonel 3x Combo:
On 22 February 2013 09:51, Peter Wendorff <wendo...@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
Am 21.02.2013 17:47, schrieb moltonel 3x Combo:
[...]
Besides, I actually think that adding the "redundant" name:XX tag is
actually simpler than modifying the code of many renderers to take something
completely new into account. On the other hand, it should be very easy to
check that "if a place has at least one name:xx tag, it should also have one
that matches the name tag" either inside the editor or via a bot.
Not sure about that.
Up to know (as far as I know) some areas of the world decided to use a
combination of two languages or name transcriptions in the name tag, like
Japan [1] or Brussels [2]. A bot would contradict a working local community
decision here, why I would oppose to automatically enforce that by a bot or
to show that as en error by default.
You're right, that's a false-positive right there. It could be fixed
by improving the heuristic, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
improving by "enforcing" these local agreements? well... that's an ugly solution, too IMHO.
It would put logics about local community agreements into global code...
JOSM users are used to ignore some types of validator warnings, and I
dare hope that any bot admin wouldn't let it run without carefull
checking.
Right, but why changing automatically, if you could point the local mappers to these problems easy by hints.
This might change as soon as the most prominent/important osm maps like our
mapnik rendering support setting the language like in Jochens Multilingual
Map project, but up to then it's IMHO a bad idea to enforce tag wars in
multilanguage areas due to "bugs" raised by some bot that tries to enforce a
name:xx being equal to name.
Looking forward to that, but it'll probably be a while before we have it ?

But even if all renderers become multilingual, as long as there is a
plain "name" tag, there'll be arguments about which language to put in
it.
yes. That's why I guess there will be these combined-names in some areas for the next years if not forever, as long as the main renderers render name as the main fallback.

If you enforce - by an editing bot or by raising error messages - at least one localized name to be equal to the name attribute, mappers will either be offended and leave the project or they will find a solution, imagine name:communityagreement="Bruxelles - Brussel" - just to make sure the name the community want's to see in the name tag and rendered on the most prominent maps. We already have mappers like this, "naming" POIs by their category because then even that label would be rendered, if an icon is missing; tagging golf course bunker as beach because that's shown on mapnik, which surface=sand is not (or was not some time ago).

regards
Peter