Am 21.02.2013 19:50, schrieb Miloš Komarčević:
+1

This is why we (well, all credit goes to user mpele) started with our
own transliteration plugin (Serbian Cyrillic <-> Serbian Latin) [1],
based on the tag editor plugin:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/TagEditor

It could be a nice idea to extend this to a more general purpose
multilingual editor, with e.g. copy source lang to dest lang option,
more transliteration filters, etc.

[1]http://svn.mpele.iz.rs/SerbianTransliterator/

This would be really great. Actually, if you are already doing something like this, your plugin would be the best starting point, I guess.

I guess all languages with non-latin script would need a similar approach like Serbia (Actually, every language: A russian person would prefers to read American cities in Cyrillic): A fast method to translate a huge number of tags without wasting any time with selecting nodes, opening dialog windows, closing them etc. A tabular approach is really the only feasible method, in my opinion. I don’t know if the Serbian transliteration can be done automatically, but in other languages, a manual approach is often necessary. Still, the plugin could then be amended by some automatic plugins (Japanese->reading, Cyrillic->Latin etc).

My imagination of this plugin is the following:

1. Well, as my screenshot described it
2. You can select certain groups, and then only they will be displayed: all cities, all towns, all streets etc. This is easier because it is likely that you don’t want to translate _everything_ at once, but rather in a systematic way. 3. You can select a node in the table if you don’t know what it is, and then return to the map where it is highlighted.

And, as I said, easy integration of the Overpass API in JOSM, so that you can download a group of nodes for an entire country, without having to download the entire country. Well, this can be done in the web browser right now, but it would be more user friendly in JOSM.