On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 11:37:59AM +0200, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> Florian Lohoff writes:
>
> >As they were wrong and nobody cared i deleted them.
> A better way of dealing with updated data in OSM is usually to fix
> and not to delete data. Had you considered mailing the users who
> created the original data before removing their work?
>
> In contrast to eg. underground power lines (seen them mapped in
> Munich) or TMC data or obscure boundaries, this is data which is
> easy to verify and used in the more remote areas of the world.

Completely different issue - I removed data which

a) Was wrong for
b) Multiple months and
c) nobody cared
d) The information was easily observable without having those lines
e) Is not "on ground data" we typically map
f) Was invisible on the map for observers.

So where is the problem? If you care take the 5 minutes to find those
HiRes images which now spans most of the populated area in North China
and put correct image boundarys somewhere.

Remember how much work it was - Sitting there zooming into sat Imagery
in 4 corners - putting 4 nodes and a single way into the OSM db.
This was probably a couple years back and wrong for 3-24 Months. Whats
the point in this data anyway?

This thread took more time to write than to finde those newer, bigger
areas and put a line around.

I map stuff i care about - Stuff which is obviously inconsistent or
broken, i fix, mark as such or remove.

Doing so made this thread start so it was a good thing to do because
suddenly somebody (You?) woke up and might now care about the broken
data.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de