On 11 July 2013 00:27, RainerU <ra...@sfr.fr> wrote:
> Am 10.07.2013 15:50, schrieb Serge Wroclawski:
>>
>> Let's take a two examples: 1) Routing on the main site.  2) Addressing
>> missing from OSM
>
> We should not start with the most difficult tasks. Lets take something easy,
> which exists, but is not accessible for non-initiated people: creating a
> marker
> and share it by mail. This is the most asked for function by people from
> outside
> the project an up to now I just can tell: It's easy. Go to the export tab,
> chose
> "HTML incorporable", set the marker, copy the text in the output field and
> extract the string after the href attribute.

I don't think this procedure is easy for most people.  I think it
would be easier to have something like 'permalink', maybe called
'markerlink'.  If you click on 'markerlink' you would get a URL with
mlat and mlon set to the centre of the map view.  You could copy and
paste this into email or chat or whatever.

I proposed this idea to the Mapnik team, and I wrote the code to do
it, but it was rejected.

I think if we had clickable POIs it would be better- I would expect a
right-click to offer a menu which would include the option to make a
details of the POI and had a option within it to make a permalink.

The more I use Naver maps (a mapping service from the Korean web
portal "Naver") the more I like what they have done and they way they
do it.  The URL is http://map.naver.com/ and although it's all in
Korean you can click around and play with a few features.

Just off the top of my head, here are some things you can do:
* clickable POIs
* highlight POIs (all restaurants, all banks, all gas stations etc.)
* on-screen ruler (draw a line and it calculates the length)
* routing (provides driving directions, cycling directions, walking
directions and bus and train journey details.  It also estimates the
taxi fare for that journey)
* aerial photo view
* street view

I think it's better than Google maps, and there is another Korean
portal called Daum with similar features
(http://map.daum.net/?t__nil_bestservice=map).  I have also mentioned
before, just recently, that Naver has an attribution for OSM, but I
don't know how they are using OSM data.

Having said that, I like to use the OSM main map a lot of the time.

Best wishes,

Andrew