From: Martin Koppenhoefer [mailto:dieterdre...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries export

> you don't need them, and you will put unneccessary heavy load on the db
> creating a relation with all coastlines and the land side borders in it
> (as the coastlines are much more detailed than the baseline).

Expanding on this, there are some large boundary relations which have
all the coastline for an admin_level region and have over 10 000
members. These are frankly harmful and impossible to work with.

When I redid the Alaska boundaries, I put them at 3 miles out I believe.

Frankly, I find the idea of using the coastline as an admin boundary
rather silly. This would mean that if you step out 1 foot into the
water, you've left the state or country.