On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2013/10/3 Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com>
>

>> Frankly, I find the idea of using the coastline as an admin boundary
>> rather silly. This would mean that if you step out 1 foot into the
>> water, you've left the state or country.
>

> indeed it seems to be different: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters
> look at the internal waters in the diagram, those allow to reduce the
> admin-ways a lot by simplifying and not using the coastline.

Not quite. By default the baselines use the mean low-water line, basically
the coastlines, but not the coastlines in the OSM sense (high-water line).
Straight baselines *may* be used only in cases where the coastline is
deeply indented such as bays, coves, fjords, and the like, or if the state
claims to be an archipelagic state (whose baselines are all straight). So
for the more-or-less concave coastlines, the baselines would still be
complex. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_%28sea%29