On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:

> In general I think it should be easier, not harder, to create notes and
> Ian's onosm is a good example of how to accomplish that. Adding artificial
> friction makes no sense to me. Less notes should not be an objective,
> smarter ways to look at them and process them should.

Not *artificial* friction, but *friction* that results in better notes.
Just enough friction that the ecosystem is in balance: the number of notes
created and evaluated are in harmony.

For example the main notes form could be expanded to:

*What needs updating?* _____________________________________________________
(required)
*How do you know?*________________________________________________________
(required)
*Optional: let the mapper who will read you note know a little about you.
There is no need to leave a name:*
_______________________________________________________________________(optional)
*[BUTTON: SUBMIT]*

Please confirm: a volunteer will read your note, which is as follows:
    * Right turn restriction here: bikes only for a right turn.
    * I pass it every day when biking to work.  Here's a link to a photo
http://picpaste.org/xxxxsfsf
    * I am a student at the School of Hard Knocks
*[BUTTON: PUBLISH ON OPEN STREET MAP]*

The objective should be that valuable notes are seen in a timely manner, by
someone able to evaluate and resolve them.

*Too many low quality notes and you burn out the mapper energy to respond
to them!*
*Eventually it could become a negative cycle: fewer mappers clearing notes,
leads to more clutter, leads to fewer mappers*
*clearing them.*

Perhaps the most frustrating type of note is one where the writer clearly
meant to help, but there's just not
enough information available to act on it.