On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM, moltonel 3x Combo <molto...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 28/05/2015, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another issue that can be seen here: nobody will want this "Puente Nuevo
> > (París)" as a label for a bridge on a map (París)
> > Funny ah? Every single entity in wikidata I have looked at had some
issues
> > in one or the other way, I believe we would get more problems than we
would
> > solve.
>
> The issue here is that these strings are the name of the wikipedia
> article in various language, which is *not* the same as the name of
> the location in various languages. Wikipedia likes to add some
> disambiguation text, which we do not want in OSM.

Note: For many Wikidata items, there are 2 lists: a list of links to
various language Wikipedia articles (this powers the interwiki links in
Wikipedia), and a list of name translations. These two lists do not
correspond exactly because the Wikipedia article title may often have a
disambiguating string.

For example: The city of Paris in Texas, USA:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q830149
(JSON version, so you can see the translations:
https://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q830149.json )

The English label for this Wikidata item is "Paris", while the English
Wikipedia article title is "Paris, Texas".