> I think that OSM is a database of local knowledge and culture, not of
> remote knowledge and culture added from afar. Therefore I find it out of
> place for OSM to see that objects like the London node receive a
> constant flow of edits from people whose only link to London is that
> they happen to speak a language in which London has a different name.

how did you verify this?

> I feel that there are two totally different planes of editing - one is
> what's on the ground in London, mapped by people in London, and the
> other is what name the Martian civilization has chosen to give to
> London, something in which Londoners have no say whatsoever.

You are trying to disqualify foreign languages in London by saying they
were "Martian", which they surely aren't, I'll bet on this if you like ;-)
Are you aware that in London there are more than 250 languages spoken?
People living there, not just visitors. Here's a link:
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/regions/languages.htm
London is special in this context, as it is a truely global city like there
are very few (NYC, Tokyo, Hongkong, maybe a few others like Paris, Dubai,
Moskow (?), ...)

> The name:xx tags are, if you will, the only tags for which the local
> mappers are not, and cannot be, the ultimate authority. And that's what
> makes name:xx stick out like a sore thumb for me; in my mind, OSM is
> first and foremost a project that lets the people control their map,
> instead of being told and labelled from afar.

please acknowledge that there are minorities in every bigger place that do
actively speak those languages. They ARE local (often).

Cheers,
Martin