I am honestly stunned this thread has gone on for as long as it has.

In regards to

> On 05/28/2015 09:19 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > What I would not support in OSM, and like to outsource to Wikidata or
> > other, is if speakers of these 20 languages were to start assigning name
> > tags in their language to thousands of places in, say, the UK.
>
> *Especially* if their reasoning was that this makes it nicer for them to
> run a tank through these places in their own-language war simulation
> with their buddies.

On the first point, why not? There are maps of the world in English,
French, German etc etc. I see no logical reason to object to "certain"
languages being used in the name tag. That is the whole point of the
flexibility of that tag. The scale of usage is null and void. Either its
acceptable everywhere or its acceptable nowhere. Anything in between is
entirely subjective and completely unfair.

On the second point, since when do we care about the motivation about why
certain data gets added. If someone wants to add 3d tagging to utilise in a
3d map they are creating, do we nitpick about that? If Scout adds speed
limits to make their app more effective, do we complain?

Lastly, and I think this is important point. To quote the wiki header
"..... the project that creates and distributes free geographic data for
the world." Either this is a database of worldwide geodata or its not.
There's no half-way in that statement. Either all cultures, languages,
countries, people and the variety these elements bring in terms of tagging,
is accepted on a universal basis or its not.

If its not, then that's an entirely different conversation.

Dave