On 3 June 2015 at 09:45, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> On 03/06/15 01:04, pmailkeey . wrote:
> > OSM's k=v design is completely a serious and unnecessary flaw. Similarly
> > are 'categories' like man_made', and 'amenity'.
> > Why can we not simply stick to hard facts rather guessing what
> > categor(ies) an object fits in
>
> This is a bit like saying XML is the wrong base format. and actually I
> would agree with that, but the majority of material only works with a
> k=v structure. While for a few VALUES there are potentially only one
> k=v, they are very few and far between.

I'm not convinced. A value of yes as a stand-alone item is meaningless but
a value of hedge is sufficient to indicate we're talking about a barrier.
(please read below before responding to this item)

> That there are a few keys that are confusing even when one is used to
> how they work is the real problem.
> amenity===shop===leisure===sport===tourism===building===landuse
> Just what combination is right for a single retail building with a
> leisure facility on the ground floor and accommodation above?
>
> building=detached is another peculiarity where the closed way identifies
> that fact and what is actually needed is simply building=residential
> unless it's contained in an area of landuse=residential ... is the
> building=residential now redundant?

A value of residential here  seems to need a key to identify whether it
relates to a building or landuse. However, you suggest building=residential
as possibly being redundant. In fact, I'd turn this on its head and make
landuse=residential (with the exception of moles) redundant. The only
residential landuse is directly under a building but by using
landuse=residential, such areas cover gardens and highways - which are
clearly not residences.

> The discussion recently on how a 'university' should be tagged probably
> encompasses all of the circularity with the current tagging practice,
> and where the hierarchy of tagging could best be agreed.
>
> Campus area === landuse=university
> Some universities are on several campuses, but there there are other
> landuse areas between, AND there should be no other landuse areas
> contained within the campus area, other tagging should identify water,
> woodland, grass, building, and the like WITHIN the area. Same for a
> shopping quarter, residential area and so on. (leisure=park rather than
> landuse=park)
>
> A retail facility is a building=retail and it's 'amenity'=convenience
> although a number of uses can be listed. So rather than
> amenity,shop,leisure,sport,tourism we have use= attached to building= or
> area= and we use landuse= to wrap the major function of the whole ground
> area ... hospital, theme_park, school, and so on ... just need an
> equivalent to building= for area= where there is no actual building so
> area=park between the building=apartments of a residential area.
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -
For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
via *the area's premier website - *

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>